Research Support Links
In addition to the tutorials located on the library’s homepage, here are video links that can help students with the basics.
How to Develop a Good Research Topic:
- http://youtu.be/nXNztCLYgxc (video)
Watch this tutorial on the steps associated with developing an appropriate topic for a research paper by considering goals, approaches, topic scope and helpful resources.
The model in this tutorial helps the student to move beyond mere data synthesis to research as problem solving.
- http://youtu.be/MWBukgttFM8 (video)
Preliminary Investigation: Using Wikipedia, Databases, and Britannica Online for Academic Research
Using Wikipedia for academic research
The Research Process:
Steps in the Research Process
- Formulate your question (or thesis statement)
- Get background information
- Refine your search topic
- Consider your resource options
- Select the appropriate resources
- Use the resource
- Locate your materials
- Analyze your materials
- Organize and write
- Compose your bibliography
- http://youtu.be/7tm-sDKCnO4 (video)
Ebsco Basic Search
Ebsco Advanced Search
Ebsco Citing Articles
The Anatomy of a Scholarly Article
- http://youtu.be/ZArGzE1AhSo (video)
Interpreting Academic Studies
Some important questions to ask when reading a scientific study.
- What are the researchers’ hypotheses?
- What are the independent and dependent variables?
- What is the unit of analysis?
- How well does the study design address causation?
- What are the study’s results?
- How generalizable are the results?
- What limitations do the authors note?
- What conclusions do similar studies draw?
Click here for a more detailed analysis.
Searching the Library’s Catalog
- http://youtu.be/hFgpH3YVwiI (video)