The Health Studies Program is designed for students who are interested in exploring health-related fields from a non-clinical perspective.
The program’s interdisciplinary approach provides a strong base of learning across a group of disciplines (biology, psychology, business, and sociology) that are directly related to careers in health care services. The program’s experiential-based approach to learning is built upon a foundation of partnerships with local hospitals and health care practices, enabling a field-based learning experience that supports the concepts and teachings communicated in the classroom. The curriculum prepares students for a wide range of health care positions in hospitals, health departments, health agencies, research facilities, schools and the health care industry.
This area of study prepares students for entry-level positions in health services and prepares students for a variety of careers in health-related fields. Graduates of this program will be prepared to pursue careers in hospitals, health departments, health agencies, healthcare supply companies, health insurance companies, health research and policy organizations and local, state and federal health agencies. Concordia students leave the curriculum well-positioned for graduate study in business, health services research or policy, public health and healthcare administration.
Sample of Courses
- HEA/ RAD 100 Medical Terminology
- PSY 181 General Psychology
- PSY 281 Developmental Psychology I
- PSY 291 Developmental Psychology II
- HEA 234 Health Care Management
- HEA 281 Legal, Ethical Aspects of Health Care
- HEA 361 Field Work in Health Studies I
- HEA 362 Field Work in Health Studies II
- HEA 383 Health Care Policy, Politics and Advocacy
- BIO/ SOC 215 Heredity and Society
- BIO 255 Foods and Nutrition
- SOC/SWK 241 Violence in the Family
- SOC/SWK 255 Social Problems: Poverty and Discrimination
- SOC 252 Race and Ethnicity
- SOC 257 Social Class in a Changing Society
- ACC 223 Financial Accounting
- ACC 224 Managerial Accounting
- BUS 231 Business Communication
- BUS 235 Management of Information Systems
- HEA 441 Senior Capstone in Health Studies