As concerns around the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) grow, Concordia College’s Student Health Center and administration continue to monitor the situation closely. As always, the safety of Concordia’s students, staff and faculty is our top priority. As of this writing there are no reported cases in Westchester County and only one in New York State.
We are continually acquiring the most up-to-date information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the New York State Department of Health, and the Westchester County Department of Health, and following all CDC recommendations. In addition, we have taken the following steps:
• The Student Health Center is providing a basic health screening followed by monitoring for all students arriving from international locations.
• Cleaning and disinfection procedures have been reviewed with C Clean, our contracted housekeeping services provider. Common spaces and high-circulation areas are disinfected daily; all campus areas are cleaned daily and disinfected weekly. A new daily disinfection of all doorknobs is being implemented this week. C Clean is prepared for terminal cleaning and full disinfection of any area as necessary.
• Chartwells, our food service provider, will this week be implementing procedures based on recommendations from its national management.
• Should governmental agencies urge us to incrementally adopt further protocols or restrictive measures, the College is ready to do so.
In the meantime, we encourage all students, faculty and staff to reduce the risk of infection with these preventative measures:
• Wash your hands often with soap and warm water, for at least 20 seconds.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when sick.
• Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze: use the “Dracula” move, covering your mouth and nose with your arm bent across your face.
• Get a flu vaccine. While this will not specifically protect you against the Corona virus, it will help strengthen your immune system which can help your body fight against other illnesses.
Questions? Worried? Concerned about getting the Corona virus? Please stop in or contact the Student Health Center so we can help alleviate any fears or concerns you may have.
Student Health Center
CDC’s dedicated 2019-nCoV website:
NYS Department of Health dedicated 2019-nCoV website: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
NYS Department of Health directory of local health departments: https://www.health.ny.gov/contact/contact_information/