Benefits of a Concordia Education
You are about to make a significant investment in your son or daughter’s future. And, you should expect nothing less than the best possible return on that investment. Here is what you and your child can expect from Concordia College–New York:
- The Concordia Experience is a distinctive academic curriculum that combines liberal arts studies with an emphasis on real-world application of what is learned in the classroom and connections to experiential learning opportunities in the form of internships, study abroad, research, service learning, and more. At Concordia, learning is not contained within the four walls of a classroom. It takes place everywhere on campus, in New York City—“our” learning laboratory—and in countries around the world.
- At Concordia, students learn in a personalized environment where they are known by their name, not a number—which equates to a highly individualized learning experience where students feel comfortable learning and expressing themselves. And, this personalized attention begins day one. First-year students meet with members of the Freshman Advising Team to arrange new class schedules, discuss activity options, review goals, and develop strategies to launch their Individualized Graduation Plan. Year after year, Concordia students rank their satisfaction with academic advising well above the national average on the Noel/Levitz Student Satisfaction Inventory (SSI)
- Concordia’s faculty truly care about their students. They invite them into their hearts and homes and find new ways to challenge them—and be challenged by them—in the classroom every day. Our professors are far more interested in facilitating dynamic discussions than delivering lectures. They get to you know their students hopes and their dreams. The student-to-faculty ratio is 13:1, which means classes are small and teachers are accessible. Seventy-five percent of our faculty have the highest degrees in their respective fields of study.
- We emphasize a holistic approach to education, so that your child will grow in both their academic life and spiritual life. Founded in 1881, Concordia College–New York is a four-year, coeducational institution, rich in a dynamic tradition of history and innovation. As one of the colleges and universities affiliated with The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod in the Concordia University System, our mission is to engage and nurture a diverse student body in a Christ-centered, values-oriented, liberal arts education for lives of service to church and community. For more information about Concordia’s past and present, visit the Who We Are section of our Web site.
- Concordia is a smart, fun, and safe place to attend college. It becomes “home away from home” for both resident and commuting students. Our 33-acre campus is set in the beautiful, affluent village of Bronxville, New York, just minutes away from New York City. It’s an extraordinary combination of college community and exciting opportunity. Several of the buildings on campus were designed by Edward L. Tilton, the architect who designed Ellis Island. Two-thirds of our students live on campus, forming an active, close-knit community involved in all aspects of college life—student organizations, athletics, community outreach, and performance ensembles.
- Concordia’s Career Development Center (CDC) is a tremendous resource for mapping future directions. The Center helps students arrange part-time work, connect with peer tutors, prepare resumes, or just “mull over an idea.” Students enjoy the one-on-one mentoring, exploring career paths and learning job search tips. Concordia’s many professional connections continue to expand, offering a variety of internship opportunities: Merrill Lynch, ABC, NBC, MTV, PepsiCo, Carnegie Hall, Smith Barney, CondeNast, the United Nations, and even internationally, with the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Your son or daughter will gain a broadened perspective of the world by learning alongside fellow students who come from over 25 states and over 34 countries worldwide. And, every student is part of our Concordia alumni network which represents thousands of accomplished graduates worldwide, many of whom still remain active at Concordia helping students expand their horizons through internship or employment opportunities.